Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Produce!

Second day of the challenge is dwindling down. Are you starting to feel flustered yet? Tired, cranky, starving? Let us know and we'll do our best to give you tips on how to avoid all of those nasty things. Assassin and I have done this challenge before so cravings and withdrawals aren't new to us. We know just what kind of snack to make this easier for you.


Tomorrow is Wednesday which means... PRODUCE! I found this nifty little article with helpful tips on how to store your produce in order to keep it fresh and tasty. Click HERE to read. Also, if you have questions about the items we got this week, let us know. I'll post in the comments a list of the items once I pick up my order so you can google away, if necessary. Remember what Assassin said at the symposium... due to the organic nature of the food, be sure to eat the leafy greens and fruit first, as they won't last as long as the root vegetables.

If you aren't quite sure where to start my suggestion would be to chop up your broccoli, carrots and beets and roast them at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. I use a pirex but a regular baking sheet works just fine, too. I coat them with a little bit of olive oil and BAM... deliciousness for 2 or 3 dinners.

My new favorite thing to do with the cauliflower is make "mashed cauliflower". It's SUPER easy. Break the cauliflower off it's stock and throw it into a pot. Add about 1 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 a tablespoon of rosemary and boil on high for 20 minutes. Blend until creamy and enjoy! (Go here for more detailed directions).

Typically, I use the kale for breakfast. I chop it up and saute it with onions and peppers for my egg scramble. I use the rest of the leafy greens for salads or as a bed for my meat. If it's a lettuce that is a bit on the bitter side, I saute with garlic until tasty unless I find a recipe that specifically calls for it. Cabbage you can roast, saute or use for enchiladas.

Please refer to the link above to see how to store all of these things. And if this is your first time ordering produce, don't get discouraged if you can't cook or eat it all before it goes bad. It will take a couple rounds before you get used to it. Trust me, it's no big deal.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Nom, nom, nom!









No comments: